Hatné, Trenčín county
N49° 11' 37.23", E18° 22' 21.30"
Hathna, Hatne, Hatna
Bačkov village is located between Košice and Michalovce. The ruins of the Bačkov manor house, built on the remains of the Bačkov castle, are located approximately in the center of the village. From Hlavná Street leading through the village we will get to Hradná via Družtevná or Školská Street. After a while we find the fenced area, but the entrance is allowed. We can park the car before the entrance. There is an easy access to the remains of the mansion, apart from the lush vegetation, we cross the area and we are at the ruins in a moment.
Attention, do not confuse the original Bačkov castle with Braničev castle (Purustyan), whose remains are above the village about 6km NW.
10 min +21m/-11m
Surrounding castles (direct line):
Jasenica - 5.7 km, Považský hrad - Bystrica - 8.2 km, Bytčiansky zámok - 13.9 km, Lednica - 14.9 km, Súľov - 15.5 km, Súľov-Hradná - 17.1 km, Kotešová - 17.2 km, Horovce - 18.1 km, Hričov - 18.1 km
Traces of the medieval castle are probably located under the ruins of the manor house, although the original castle is hardly identifiable without exploring the site. The manor house, built on these foundations, had a rectangular ground plan. On the south side there were two towers and an entrance terrace with a staircase. There were even smaller rooms on the sides of the towers, in the interior of one of them is a Baroque niche. Given the size of the object, it is quite likely that the object did not have a courtyard.
Masonry is combined with bricks, in some cases pure brick. It can be a late renaissance disposition of the building with baroque interiors, but also a baroque building.
Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk
If the source is not mentioned, the photos come from deltiologists and users who sent or lent them to us, as well as from freely available sources, social networks and archives.
The first preserved written mention of the village of Hatné and of the entire Marikovská valley in general is the deed of donation issued by Karol Róbert in 1321, but the settlement of Hatné probably existed a hundred years before. There are two important locations in the village - two fortifications in the Hrádok position, located north of the village on both sides of the Marikovský stream. However, both were disturbed by stone quarrying. The history of the fortifications goes deep into the past, even before the first written mention of the village.
The more well-preserved location is placed on the left side of the stream, although no above-ground remains have been preserved at present. The oldest finds of pottery speak of life on this fortification already in the Stone Age. At that time, people with a fluted culture lived here. The settlement continued a little later in the Bronze and Iron Age (Hallstad), the people of Lusatian culture lived in the castle and its surroundings. The next stage of settlement continued only after the arrival of the Slavs, when the fortifications of Slavic ancestors were built here. It lasted only a short time and its continuation in the Middle Ages can be connected with the establishment of the settlement Hatné.
The first known ancestor of the local landowner Juraj of Hatné, Kilián, received in 1321 from King Karol Róbert Hatné, Prosné and Maríková settlements. And probably at that time he had a medieval castle built here, which also served his descendants. Juraj, an important feudal lord of the Hatňanský family, who probably later settled on the castle, received the Budatín castle from King Sigismund in 1436 for his faithful services. Probably at that time, the Hatňanský family left the castle and moved to the Budatín residence.
The original extent and appearance of the castle is not known, as a substantial part of it was destroyed by a quarry and the local people. All that remains is an idea of its history from written records and medieval finds found here.
But in 2016 Ivan Pecháček pointed out a fragment of stone masonry in a gorge between two rocks during a sightseeing trip, thus confirming the existence of a stone medieval fortification on the right side of the stream.
According to the story, the two castles were once connected by a leather bridge. However, this contradicts the fact that the castles were not inhabited at the same time in any of the periods. Bridge connections are therefore unlikely.
The place is freely accessible
Used sources and literature: WEB: www.hradiska.sk, hatne.sk/obec/historia/, IV. Zborník Vlastivedného múzea v Považskej Bystrici 2017, sk.wikipedia.org, Archív hrady-zamky.sk