Slavec - Gombasek

The ruins of the monastery in Gombasek, part of the village of Slavec, situated between Rožňava and Plešivec

monastery / 236 m



hore

Slavec, Košice county

N48° 34' 04.74",  E20° 27' 56.76"


Kláštor pavlínov, Gombaszögi pálos monostor

How to get there - Slavec - Gombasek

Between Rožňava and Plešivec is the village of Slavec. From the main road we turn to the road No. 3009 in the direction of Gombasek - recreational area and cave, above the river Slaná. Soon we turn right into a narrow alley, which comes almost in front of the ruins of the Gombasek Monastery, where we can park.

time < 5 min
difficulty Parking parking

Nearest castles (direct line):
Plešivec - 5.3 km, Štítnický hrad - 12.3 km, Krásna Hôrka - 14.1 km, Betliar - 15.7 km, Jelšava Hradovisko - 18.6 km, Tornaľa - 19.1 km

Interior and exterior

The monastery church had the form of a single-nave building with an apparently polygonal presbytery. The church nave had a length of 16.5 m and a width of 8.85 m with a masonry width of up to 1.40 m. Archaeological research captured the reconstruction during the 15th century. The temple was vaulted with ribbed vaults, and during the research it was possible to discover a preserved bolt of one of the vaults of the ship with a painting of the blessing hand of the Lord. The decoration was supposed to be richer than in the case of other churches of Pavlins, one of the reasons being the unsuitability of the local stone for stone-carving. Even in the 19th century, fresco decoration was visible on the preserved wall of the church, of which only the remnants of pigments on the plaster have been preserved.

During the research in 2018, the entire ground plan of the monastery church was uncovered, including the above-ground masonry with the remains of plaster and frescoes. Its presbytery was not preserved even in the foundation masonry due to later landscaping, which could be related to the monastery fortification in the 16th century. Archaeologists succeeded in uncovering the entire nave of the church and at the depth of 1.4 to 2.0 meters reached the level of the original tiles made of burnt tiles, some of which were also decorated.



Slavec - Gombasek - ground plan

Ground plan - Slavec - Gombasek


Photogallery

2018

  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt
  • Slavec - Gombasek-Pohľad na objekt

Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk

Send us your photos - Slavec - Gombasek

Up to 5 photos up to 5MB, JPG or PNG


 I agree with publication of photos on www.hrady-zamky.sk

WARNING: Try to send images that are not in the photo gallery, or if the object has changed over the years, so its current state.
Photos are subject to approval process. Only selected photos will be published.

History and personalities

The monastery was founded by Ladislav Bebek from Štítnik, probably shortly before 1371, for the Paulines, who also acquired the neighboring villages of Slavec and Vidová. Juraj Bebek also comes into consideration as the founder of the monastery, based on the inscription on his tombstone in the church in Hrhov, that in 1371 he founded the Pavlín monastery of the Virgin Mary, but it is not known whether it was the mentioned monastery. At this time, Gombasek was still mentioned under the older name Podzávoz (derived from the hill Závoz, which is mentioned as early as 1243).

The monastery with the church stood on an important path and prospered considerably during the 15th century. Although the monastery was fortified in the 16th century, the Reformation spread by Gemer and was threatened by fighting between the two crowned kings of Hungary, the Turkish invasions and the looting of the Bebek family, and the monastery disappeared. Juraj Bebek started attacking the surrounding villages from Szádvár Castle and did not avoid the villages belonging to the Gombasec monastery.

The attack was fatal in 1566 (the year 1555 states in older literature), when Juraj Bebek and his soldiers broke directly into the monastery, where he captured and tortured several monks.

After Juraj's death in 1567, the monastery was occupied by the imperial army. Although the pavilions were promised to return the Gombasec monastery and its property, this did not happen. At the beginning of the 17th century, they then belonged to the Eszterházy family and the pavilions never returned here.

Already during the autumn of 2011, a minor archaeological research was carried out at the site, which captured the floor plan of the ship and brought several interesting finds. Extensive archaeological research in 2018 brought the discovery of a polygonal bastion in the southwestern part of the area. The entire floor plan of the monastery church was uncovered, including the above-ground masonry with the remains of plaster and frescoes. After research in 2018, the interior of the ship was filled with gravel and a bell tower was built nearby.

Myths and Legends

There are no myths available.

Useful information

The ruins are freely accessible

Used sources and literature: WEB: www.apsida.sk, www.slavec.sk, sk.wikipedia.org, Archív hrady-zamky.sk