Kráľovský Chlmec

Castle ruins, according to some sources castellum - fortified mansion, known as Csonkavár, lies on a hill at the eastern foot of the Chlmecky Hills on the outskirts of the town Kráľovský Chlmec

castle ruin / 135 m



hore

Kráľovský Chlmec, Košice county

N48° 25' 26.33",  E21° 58' 29.18"


Helmech, Csonkavár, Királyhelmec

How to get there - Kráľovský Chlmec

From the main road that leads through the town of Kráľovský Chlmec (Svätušská Street), we get the best along Hlavná Street to the narrow streets like Podhradská and František Rákóczi. Although it is possible to get to the ruins by car (very steep slope), we recommend to park the car in a narrow street on Fr. Rákóczi, from there it is really just a short walk - we go straight and after a while we reach the crossroads of Fr. Rákóczi-Z.Lórántffy and Podhradská streets. Here we take the steep aisle on the left, which leads us directly to the ruins of Csonkavár. Right next to the ruins is a medieval restaurant (cellar).

time < 5 min
difficulty Parking parking

Nearest castles (direct line):
Leles - 5.8 km, Veľký Kamenec - 14.3 km, Streda nad Bodrogom - 17.4 km

Interior and exterior

To date, only a few walls and part of the cellar have been preserved from Csonkavár. It has been in such a condition for centuries, what its name says after all - the Hungarian Csonkavár can be translated as "Castle of the Wreckage".

This cultural-historical monument was an aristocratic seat of the manor type. The dilemma around the castle in Chlmec lies mainly in the question whether it was a real fortified building. In the surrounding terrain there is no sign of any significant fortification. The small-scale written records and most of the material findings are more conducive to the theory that it was rather a late-medieval stone dwelling; reminiscent of the early form of the mansion. The preserved building was once two-storey, while on the first floor there are two windows with a semicircular vaulting in the northeastern wall. In the south-eastern wall, the remains of the barrel vault from the quarry stone have been preserved, which were probably embedded later. The corners of the building are built from large carved tufit blocks with dimensions of 35-40 x 60-70 x 40 cm.



Kráľovský Chlmec - ground plan

Ground plan - Kráľovský Chlmec


Photogallery

2017

  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-Pohľad na objekt

Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk

Historical photographs

  • Kráľovský Chlmec-história
  • Kráľovský Chlmec-história

If the source is not mentioned, the photos come from deltiologists and users who sent or lent them to us, as well as from freely available sources, social networks and archives.

Send us your photos - Kráľovský Chlmec

Up to 5 photos up to 5MB, JPG or PNG


 I agree with publication of photos on www.hrady-zamky.sk

WARNING: Try to send images that are not in the photo gallery, or if the object has changed over the years, so its current state.
Photos are subject to approval process. Only selected photos will be published.

History and personalities

Sources about the origin of the castle are very unclear and differ in information. According to some sources, the castle was built before the arrival of the Hungarians in Slovakia, others date the origin of the castle around 1414 or even later, at the beginning of the 16th century. Some hypotheses attribute the origin of the castle to Matúš of Pavloviec, resp. the Palóczi family in general. The only thing about the genesis of the castle is that it was built very late, first sometime in the second half of the 15th century. However, most of the existing evidence suggests that the more likely period of origin is the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries or the beginning of the 16th century.

The first written reports about Chlmec can be found in the deed of King Andrew II. from 1214. But it is a mention of the village Chlmec itself and not the castle. In it, the king confirmed to the Leches post office the ownership of the property, which was donated to the emerging post office by the Bishop of Vacov, Boleslav. Chlmec was one of the donated villages with territorial property belonging to it. It is interesting that he already had the status of a market place at that time. At the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries, Dionýz had a manor house in Chlmec. In 1323, Karol Róbert had him and his relatives confiscated the property of Chlecice and gave it to the nobleman Mikč. Chlmec was owned by Mikča and his heirs at the beginning of the second half of the 14th century. The village changed owners again in 1403, when Sigismund of Luxembourg donated it to the nobleman Matúš of Pavloviec. Kráľovský Chlmec is first mentioned as a town in a written record from 1461. In the 15th century, the owners of the castle were the lordly families of the Palóczi family, the Pelejtej family, the Ujfaluss family and the Zbuďaj family. At the end of the 15th century, it was the property of the Palóczi family, whose last male descendant, Anton Palóczi, fell in the Battle of Mohács (1256).

The castle was then inherited by his wife, Magdaléna Pašajová, but she could not keep it. The influential and greedy oligarch Peter Perényi was interested in him. He seized the castle by force and had this property confirmed by King Ján Zápoľský, of whom he was a supporter. Later, however, he joined Ferdinand and participated in his coronation as the guardian of the crown. When Ferdinand learned that Perényi was playing on several sides, he had him imprisoned. Although he was later willing to release him after paying 40,000 ducats as compensation for property he had seized by force, his imprisonment undermined Perényi's health and he died on his way from prison to Vienna (1548). In the same year, the 46th legal article was published, which ordered the collapse of many castles, including Kráľovský Chlmec. Since then, the castle has not been restored. In 1598, Štefan Báthory became the owner of the ruins and surrounding property. Later (1610) the co-owners were the Daróczy family, the Thelegdi family, the Nyáry family and the Gobo family, and in 1654 also the Rákócz family family. In 1690, part of Chlmec was bought by its old owners, the Premonstratensian monks, who 7 years later received another part from Juraj Rákóczi II. for 18,000 gold. Later, Chlmec became the property of the landscape palatine Juraj Thurzo, after which it was inherited by his son Imrich Thurzo and after his death Zuzana Lorantffy, who built a manor house preserved in Chlmec.

Myths and Legends

There are no myths available.

Useful information

The ruin is currently inaccessible, reconstruction is underway.

Used sources and literature: WEB: www.kralovskychlmec.sk, sk.wikipedia.org, Archív hrady-zamky.sk