Turňa castle

The ruins of the castle on the limestone hill of the Slovenský Kras, through which the edge of the Zádiel plateau runs above the Košice basin in the village of Turňa nad Bodvou

castle ruin / 350 m


SK | EN


hore

Turňa nad Bodvou, Košice county

N48° 36' 39.88",  E20° 52' 28.24"


Thorna, Tornauara, Torna, Tornai vár

How to get there - Turňa castle

Route 1: The main road passes through the village of Turňa nad Bodvou, along which we reach the pond, which is visible from the road. Almost opposite the pond, on there is a turn to a large parking lot, where there is also a restaurant. From the car park, we walk towards the main road and turn left onto a dirt road that runs parallel to the main road. Soon we will turn left onto the blue and yellow hiking trail. Be careful not to miss this turn, the next turn leads to the village, you need to turn before it. This is followed by an ascent with a slight ascent in the Turniansky hradný vrch nature reserve, which in the last part makes the rocks a bit more difficult. From the Hradná stráň saddle, we no longer continue along tourist-marked routes, but we turn right and after a while we are at the castle. Notice the traces of medieval wagons carved into the rocks, and you can see them significantly even today.

time 25-30 min profile +167m/-25m
difficulty Parking parking


Route 2: Access from the village Háj, where there is a small parking lot near the cemetery next to the playground, from where we walk along the stream to the yellow route, which will lead us to the saddle Hradná stráň, from where we continue on the same route as the mentioned route No. 1 to the castle.

time 1:00 h profile +142m/-65m
difficulty Parking parking

Interior and exterior

The oldest part of the castle is in its core standing prismatic tower, originally accessible only from the height of the first floor. It was the head of the almost defunct fortifications. In 1357 the castle was extended by a new Gothic palace north of the tower. The younger palace stood on the east side of the courtyard. On the southwest side was built cannon bastion and two other bastions in the south and east. Probably from this period comes a mighty northwest bastion, protecting the castle from access.

The walls of bastions, fortifications, palaces and towers have been preserved to this day. The body of the castle was built from various rocks, such as wetterstein limestone and travertines.



Turňa castle - pôdorys

Ground plan - Turňa castle


Legend to the ground plan:
1 - prismatic tower, 2 - inner castle, 3 - palace, 4 - presumed chapel, 5 - cannon bastion, 6 - corner bastions, 7 - fortification, 8 - entrance gate, 9 - stables and hostels, 10 - extended cannon bastion

Photogallery

2019

  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Pohľad na objekt
  • Turňa castle-Koľaj stredovekých vozov

Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk

Historical photographs

  • Turňa castle-história
  • Turňa castle-1939
  • Turňa castle-história
  • Turňa castle-história

If the source is not mentioned, the photos come from deltiologists and users who sent or lent them to us, as well as from freely available sources, social networks and archives.

Photos of visitors

  • Turňa castle-2020 Peter

Send us your photos - Turňa castle

Up to 5 photos up to 5MB, JPG or PNG


 I agree with publication of photos on www.hrady-zamky.sk

WARNING: Try to send images that are not in the photo gallery, or if the object has changed over the years, so its current state.
Photos are subject to approval process. Only selected photos will be published.

History and personalities

The castle was built at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries at the latest, but according to some researchers, already in 1198, when the village is mentioned (Tornus), there was a small castle. This locality was given to the predecessor of the Tornay family as a reward for the services he demonstrated in the defense of the country during the Tatar invasion of Hungary. We can consider him as the builder of a stone castle. The documents state that the castle was not built until 1357, when the village became the center of the castle estate. However, the then owner Ján Tornay expanded and repaired the castle this year. It was therefore a reconstruction of an older castle, which belonged to the Tornay family until 1406.

After the extinction of the Tornay family in 1406 by John II, King Sigismund annexed the castle to the crown. Three years later, he exchanged the manor with Pavel Bešeň of Ezdeg, and for a short time the castle was also acquired by Štefan called Šafár of Branč (1409), from whom the Bebek family acquired the property. Around 1448 he was occupied by Jiskr's troops and after them he was detained by his brothers until 1458. After the conditions were calmed down, the castle was in the hands of King Matej Korvín. Imrich Zápoľský and his wife bought the castle from him in 1476. After his death it was still owned by his widow Uršula Bebek, later the castle was inherited by members of her family. In the years 1540-50, František Bebek carried out new fortification work on the building, which forced the Turkish danger. It was part of a large anti-Turkish fortress system, belonging to the border castles. In 1567, the Bebek family died out with František's son Juraj, who was suspected of preparations for the anti-Habsburg uprising. His property was therefore occupied by the imperial army and the castle belonged to Captain Gašpar Magócsim. After the extinction of the male generation in 1611, the castle was inherited in the female line. The Kátai family is mentioned, later Barbora Móric, and by handing her over to Mikuláš, the property passed to the Keglevich family. The manor already at that time mostly lived in mansions.

In 1652 the castle was occupied by the Turks and in 1678 by the Kuruk troops of Imrich Thököly. A year later, Imperial General Leslie forced them to surrender. However, Thököly received the sultan's help and with the help of the Turks he regained the castle in 1683. However, after the crushing defeat of the Turks near Vienna, the imperial troops gained the upper hand and General Schultz conquered the castle in 1685. Because of the insurgents, he had the castle fortifications destroyed so that the castle would not become their support.

Soldiers were still housed in the castle in 1848, but probably due to their negligence the castle burned down and has been a ruin ever since. Cez 2.sv. During the war, the strategic position of the castle was used by German troops. The Turnian Castle Rescue Association is currently trying to restore the castle.

Myths and Legends

The rumor says

At night, the wailing ghost of a castle virgin appears on the walls, who out of jealousy shattered a young nobleman and blamed her sister. However, an ordered oath over the dead revealed the truth, and the convicted murderer thrust her deadly weapon into her chest herself.

Bandits and bishop

Once, robbers of the Eger bishop headed for Turnian Castle. The whole procession of the bishop was tied up and dressed in the clothes of church dignitaries. They got to the castle without difficulty, where they collected seven thousand gold coins from the helpless castle lord. They, still disguised as bishops, donated to the mayor of nearby Žarnov, because this settlement had an unjust debt to the lord of the castle, which he cruelly recovered from them. The villagers repaid the debt and came to thank the surprised church dignitary.

Useful information

The ruins are freely accessible

Used sources and literature: BÁRTA V., BARTA V., NEŠPOR J. Hrady a zámky na Slovensku. Banská Bystrica : AB ART press, KRIŽANOVÁ E.,PUŠKÁROVÁ B. Hrady,zámky a kaštiele na Slovensku. Bratislava : Šport 1990, PLAČEK M., BÓNA M., Encyklopédia slovenských hradov. Bratislava : SLOVART 2007, KOLLÁR D., NEŠPOR J., Kultúrne krásy Slovenska. Hrady - najkrajšie zrúcaniny. Bratislava : DAJAMA 2007 WEB: tornavidek.info, www.regionalnedejiny.sk, sk.wikipedia.org, Archív hrady-zamky.sk