Cerová, Trnava county
N48° 34' 30.66", E17° 23' 10.38"
Korlátko, Korlátkő, Korlátky, Korlathkeu, Korlathkw, Kunradstayn, Korlatowe Kameny, Kunradi Lapide, Konradstein
Route 1: By car we get to the village Rozbehy (Cerová, part Rozbehy), which we pass to the end. We continue along the cemetery, along the road leading next to the lookout tower and after a few meters we will see a signpost with a turn to the right on the meadow. Here, along the road, we can park the car and continue across the meadow, a small part of forest and again across the meadow with a relatively short descent to the castle Korlátka.
5-10 min 0m/-15m
Route 2: From the mentioned turn to the meadow, we continue a few meters by car to the cottage, where we can park. We continue on foot with a short walk along the yellow trail directly opposite the cottage to the castle.
< 5 min 0m/-13m
Route 3: A more demanding and longer route is from the village of Prievaly, where after the yellow trail through the forest we get to the mentioned cottage and from there straight to the castle.
1:15 h +194m/-28m
Surrounding castles (direct line):
Ostrý Kameň - 6 km, Smolenice - 7.7 km, Trstín - 7.9 km, Dobrá Voda - 11.1 km, Katarínka - 11.3 km, Plavecký hrad - 12.5 km, Plavecké Podhradie - 12.9 km, Sobotište - 17.4 km, Branč - 18.6 km, Šaštín - 19.3 km
Relatively preserved remnants of the lower castle with a quadrilateral building, perimeter walls and a distinct castle moat with a supporting wall of the falling gate. In the upper, older Gothic part, we find several architectural details.
Limited view of the surrounding country, dominated by the nearby four wind farms on the east side. Noticeable are the remains of the perimeter walls of the upper castle and sections of the lower fortifications, as well as the remains of the circular tower.
Ground plan - Korlátka
Legend to the ground plan:
1 - round tower, 2 - courtyard of the upper castle, 3 - palace, 4 - first fortification, 5 - western fortification, 6 - second fortification, 7 - bastion, 8 - late renaissance building
Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk
If the source is not mentioned, the photos come from deltiologists and users who sent or lent them to us, as well as from freely available sources, social networks and archives.
The first mention of the castle from 1289, which has not been verified by documents, is connected with Ugrin from the Hont-Pázmány family. However, the use of the cylindrical shape of the tower or the purpose of the castle suggest its origin in the second half of the 13th century. At the beginning of the 14th century, the castle was the property of Ulving of Harzendorf, to whom Mr. Váh and the Tatras, Matúš Čák Trenčiansky, had to pay severance pay in 1317. During the battle with the Hungarian King Charles I, Korlat Castle became a royal property in 1321. In 1394 the castle was acquired from Sigismund of Luxembourg by Stibor of Stiborice. After Stibor's death, in 1414 the castle and the whole estate were inherited by his son Stibor II. As he died without descendants in 1434, the castle again became a royal property.
King Sigismund himself was at the castle several times. In the turbulent Hussite period, the castle was occupied by rebellious governors such as John of Moravia (1444). Mikuláš Ujlaki freed the castle from his hands, who immediately handed it over to Osvald of Bučany in 1452. His descendants settled in the castle, but Oswald's son became an unfaithful ruler, so they confiscated all his property, including the castle of Cerov, and annexed it to the royal property. In 1485, King Matej Korvín released the castle for 6,000 ducats to a member of the Knights, Ján Plakner. However, this did not come into force, because in the future the castle was used by the lord of Bučiany. After the extinction of the family, the castle was inherited by the mayor František Nyáry. In 1578, Gašpar Pongrácz and his brother Ján of Oponice were the co-owners. Until 1700, the Pongrácz family and the Apponyi took turns here. During the rule of the Apponyi family in 1645, the castle was briefly occupied by insurgents of Juraj Rákoczi, who soon withdrew. For some time, the aristocratic Windischgrätz family also had an ownership share in the castle.
Despite the fact that the castle was still preserved, the manor left it and moved to more comfortable mansions in Jablonice and Lieskov.
The castle has been slowly abandoned since the middle of the 18th century. Remains of the walls of the upper castle and more continuous sections of the lower fortifications have been preserved from the individual buildings.
The legend of the castle
If you would like to dig into the treasures in the castle's flooded cellars, you must renounce Father´s prayer without hesitation all the time, and no matter what happens, you must not say a word aloud.
Hajdúsi at the Korlátka - Cerovo castle
A lord lived in the Cerovo castle, people called him a villain. This was because he mistreated his subjects really badly. Once a subject, called Mišo, did not come to work. The lord ordered to bring him with a wagon to the castle and punish him with beating up. The Pandurs performed as the lord commanded them. When the charged Mišo was loaded onto a wagon, twelve upper men came, led by Jánošík. The robbers tied the cops and dressed in their clothes. The part with Jánošík went to the lord's castle. They tied the Lord to a hole and beated him up until he promised in front of his own subjects that he and his pandurs would treat the people better. Since then, people have been relieved and the lord of Cerov Castle has softened his manners.
The ruins are freely accessible
Used sources and literature: BÁRTA V., BARTA V., NEŠPOR J. Hrady a zámky na Slovensku. Banská Bystrica : AB ART press, KRIŽANOVÁ E.,PUŠKÁROVÁ B. Hrady,zámky a kaštiele na Slovensku. Bratislava : Šport 1990, PLAČEK M., BÓNA M., Encyklopédia slovenských hradov. Bratislava : SLOVART 2007, WEB: http://en.wikipedia.org, www.obeccerova.sk, www.skonline.sk, Archív hrady-zamky.sk