Šaštín-Stráže, Trnava county
N48° 38' 29.21", E17° 08' 38.51"
Sasswar, Saswar, Sasvár
The remains of the walls of the bastion fortifications and a factory-degraded manor house are located right by the river Myjava in the town of Šaštín-Stráže, on Hviezdoslavova Street in the building of the former factory. It is possible to park in the area in front of the complex, or in an adjacent alley. We recommend bypassing the building along the banks of the river Myjava, but also on the other side of a narrow alley, where the walls are relatively well visible.
< 5 min
Probably in the second third of the 16th century, the castle was rebuilt into a new modern fortress. It is questionable when it acquired the form of a bastion fortress with a square floor plan, but from a typological point of view it coincides with the fortifications of Holíč Castle. The preserved remains of the original building consist of a manor and a bastion fortification, which has preserved in almost complete condition the southeastern fortification curtain, the southern and eastern bastion, the southern section of the southwestern curtain and part of the course of the northeastern curtain also with the northern bastion. Below ground level, on the areas surrounding the fortifications, moat structures are assumed. The building of the manor is three-winged with a U-shaped floor plan. The north side wing and the main wing are two-storey, the south side wing is ground floor, all are partially basement. The two rooms in the south wing are vaulted with trough vaults with sections and corner lunettes. The fortification consists of earthly trapezoidal bastions, situated on the corners of a fortress terrace with a square floor plan, which is separated by curtains between the bastions. The mantle of curtains and bastions is built of burnt bricks.
The building lost its monumental character when it was adopted for the purposes of textile production. The original buildings were modified in style, while the new buildings did not even follow the original course of the fortifications.
Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk
If the source is not mentioned, the photos come from deltiologists and users who sent or lent them to us, as well as from freely available sources, social networks and archives.
The fortified manor house (today only a building devalued by textile production) was most likely built on the site of the original lowland castle. The existence of the castle is presumed on the basis of a documented archdioconate in Sasvár in the years 1218 to 1248.
At the end of the 13th century, the castle is documented as an unnamed wooden castle near Holíč. The castle is mentioned again in 1296, when it was conquered by the Austrian duke Albrecht, Abraham Rufus, and returned to King Andrew III. In 1317, however, Charles Robert and his property donated it to Abraham for his services. At the beginning of the 14th century, Šaštín Castle fell into the hands of Matúš Čák Trenčiansky.
Later, the castle was owned by Counts of St. Jura, although their interests in the castle there are not documented. The castle is not mentioned anywhere for a long time. The last mention is probably the report of the chronicler Windecký, who mentions the occupation of the castle by the army of the Moravian margraves Jošt and Prokop in 1401. It is not known whether the castle disappeared due to disarmament or during the Hussite fighting.
During the High Middle Ages, the Šaštín Castle Estate belonged to Stibor I and Stibor II. from Stiborice, after their extinction the castle and manor were acquired in 1435 by the Czoborors, although they lived in Holíč. From the beginning of the 16th century, they had to share the castle with the Révay family, and probably at that time a late Gothic or early Renaissance mansion could be built in Šaštín on the site of the old castle. On the orders of Emperor Ferdinand II. there was a fortification of the building and the construction of corner bastions.
After the economic decline of the Czoborovs, the Habsburgs acquired the Holíč estate in 1736 and used the buildings in Holíčí and Šaštín for textile production. In Holíč for the production of faience and Šaštín was a textile center.
After the first land reform in Czechoslovakia, the building was adapted for factory production and thus lost its monumental character. In the middle of the 18th century, the manufactory was bought by merchants from Austria. Major interventions in the skeleton of the manor house occurred in the middle of the 19th century and textile production returned to the building in the 20th century. The building was briefly declared a cultural monument, but the private owner appealed against it.
The remains of the walls and rebuilt manor are in the area of the private building, visible from the exterior
Used sources and literature: PLAČEK M., BÓNA M., Encyklopédia slovenských hradov. Bratislava : SLOVART 2007 WEB: www.obnova.sk, sk.wikipedia.org Archív hrady-zamky.sk