Ľubietová, Banská Bystrica county
N48° 44' 44.74", E19° 21' 43.51"
Lubetha, Lwbeta, Lwbetha, Lubeta, Libeta, Lybeta, Lybotha, Lwbethhowa, Libeth Banya, Lybeth Banya, Libethbanya, Lybetabanya, Lubjetowa, Libetha, Lubietowa, Libetbánya
The wall remains of town castle Ľubietová are located in the village of the same name, which can be reached by turning between Slovenská Ľupča and Brusno. The road of J. Kmeť passes through the village, which later changes into V. Dunajský Square. Even before the turn to J.Kňazovický, just opposite the primary school, we turn right through the gate of the Municipal Office and the post office, where there is a smaller parking lot. From there we enter the office building and exit on the other side, in the adjacent park. On the left, at the side of the building, we find archaeologically exposed remains of walls. We can also get to the park from the opposite side, if we park next to Debnárská Street and cross the bridge over the Hutná stream into the park. There is also a museum room in the office building on the ground floor.
< 5 min
The Ľubietová town castle disappeared in the 19th century, when it was dismantled and the material from it was used in the construction of a municipal house and probably also other buildings. The castle had a regular square layout. It consisted of four, probably two-storey bastions and a separate brick building. It may have been older than the castle itself, and it is possible that the Count may have lived in it, representing the king in the mining town and supervising the mining.
In the years 2012-2014, archaeological research was conducted here under the leadership of M. Kvietok. During the research, the interior of the SW bastion of the town castle fortification was completely uncovered. Its southern edge was destroyed at the beginning of the 20th century during the construction of the fencing of the courtyard of the municipal house. The courtyard area of the municipal house and the adjacent plots were the place where the town castle complex was located. If we do not count interventions in the form of excavations of engineering networks and foundations of younger buildings, then in most of this area there are intact terrains as well as walls of the city castle building. At present, the lower part of the walls in the park consists of the original exposed masonry from 1564 and based on the decision of the Monuments Office, geotextile was used to cover the masonry and stones deposited around the excavations, ie andesite stones, also from the stream and material of the copper deposit on Podlipa were put on the original walls.
Ground plan - town castle Ľubietová
Legend to the ground plan:
Source: information board in the village
Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk
If the source is not mentioned, the photos come from deltiologists and users who sent or lent them to us, as well as from freely available sources, social networks and archives.
Ľubietová and its surroundings have been inhabited since ancient times, as evidenced by archaeological finds from prehistoric times. This ore-rich site has left numerous traces of prehistoric mining. The Slavs also lived here. In 1241, the Tatars invaded Hungary, which also affected the locality of Ľubietová, which they plundered.
The first written mention of the Ľubietová locality dates from 1379, when Ľudovít Veľký granted Ľubietová city privileges and became a free royal town.
In historical sources, Matej Bel was one of the first to dedicate himself to the town castle in Ľubietová. It also describes the fortifications around the perimeter of the manor, the construction of which, however, began only during the Turkish threats. According to the results of archaeological research, we can date the construction of the town castle itself to the second half of the 16th century, specifically to 1564, to the aforementioned period of direct threat to the Central Slovak mining area by Ottoman expansion. In the end, the Turks never got to Ľubietová.
According to the village plan from 1866, the castle had a regular square layout in the final phase. Bastions of irregular square plan were built in the corners. Adjacent to the southwest bastion was a rectangular building, which was probably built earlier and only then was incorporated into the castle complex. It was this building that could be the seat of the Count of Comoros.
In the years 2012 to 2014, the village of Ľubietová, in cooperation with the Central Slovak Museum in Banská Bystrica, began archaeological research of the town castle under the leadership of Martin Kvietek. The research revealed the interior of the SW bastion of the town castle fortifications and the findings revealed the history of the former free royal town of Ľubietová in a significant way.
Array Read more...
The people of Ľubietová built their castle from the stones from the stream, and thus completely destroyed the paved banks of Hutná. And when there was no stone in Hutná, all the paved roads, sidewalks in the city were dismantled and the paving was completed.
Three years, like the water in Hutná, passed quickly, the borrowed money was wasted, and since the castle had not yet been surrounded from the outside, the women of Ľubietová woven the cloth day and night, until finally the men cleverly enriched the whole castle with this cloth. And they did well, for the carriages with the councilors of other mining towns were already rattling along the dismantled roads of Ľubietová.
When the councilors of Banská Štiavnica, Kremnica, Banská Bystrica, Pukanec, Novobansk and Bansko-Belel came to Ľubietová, they did not notice the new castle at all, they passed under its gate and held talks in the old town hall. And after that meeting, they did not even look into the castle palms and stayed in the surrounding burgher houses. And the next day they decided that the annual assemblies would continue to be held only in Kremnica, they got in the carriages and from where they came, they rattled there.
As the guests left the city, the Lubietov councilors were left with only eyes to cry. The new castle went unnoticed, the roads and sidewalks were flooded, the banks of Hutná washed away from the water and the debts would rather not even be thought of. After that trigger, the people of Ľubietová had nothing left to do, only dismantled the new castle, re-paved the roads, sidewalks from its matter and strengthened the washed-out banks of Hutná with suits and frogs. And the debts? The councilors had to tighten their belts, and when they lengthened the city after great misery and got a large part of the district from the reserve, they have only been fleeing to the good old town hall since then, and they have been constantly softening it with repairs, paintings of walls and chambers.
Many years have passed since the time the castle stood in Ľubietová, and many would like to forget this, not very glorious time. Everything said here, however, is true, because the good old town hall still stands in the square today, and makes Ľubietová to be Ľubietová repeatedly. And what about the castle itself, what was it built for the eye? His remains have only recently been found underground, and the wise people of Lubiet decided to preserve them, and only so that future generations would see for themselves that the history of Lubiet had written their chronicle with such a story.
The remains of the walls are freely accessible in the park. There is a museum room in the municipal office.
Used sources and literature: M.KVIETIK, STREDOSLOVENSKÉ MÚZEUM Banská Bystrica, Ľubietová – Mestský hrad - Výskumná dokumentácia z archeologického výskumu na vedecké účely 2014, Publikácia Montánna história 7/2014 WEB: www.lubietova.sk, pamiatkynaslovensku.sk, slovenskaroute66.sk/sk/novinka/lubietova-podla-mateja-bela, sk.wikipedia.org, Archív hrady-zamky.sk