Pečovská Nová Ves, Prešov county
N49° 07' 41.15", E21° 02' 30.06"
Wyfolu, Wyfalu, Újfalu, Pécsújfalu
From the main road No.68, leading through the village of Pečovská Nová Ves, we turn to Ľutinská Street. After that we continue to the first turn. Here we can park our car at the edge of the road. We continue on foot along the narrow aisle on the left, which turns right and at the end we can find the fenced area with the mansion.
< 5 min
The manor house was built as a single-tower with firing holes on the original attic. It is a multi-storey block building with originally renaissance windows and a corner tower on the southwest side. The rooms on the first floor have a carved beamed ceiling, on one of the beams is carved the year 1649. In each room there are stone renaissance doors, renaissance stucco patterns on the vaults and a baroque fireplace.
An interesting feature of this mansion is the fact that it is an Irish-style building, and is the only one of its kind in Slovakia. At present, however, despite its great importance, it is in a bad state. Only the roof was repaired and the windows were replaced to prevent further damage.
Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk
In 1556 they acquired a castle called Újvár (New Castle) and the surrounding areas Péchyovci, but as their seat they decided to build a lowland castle in a lower position. This building, later known as the Ring Manor, was probably built in 1556-63. The deed of donation from 1556 does not mention, which means that it could not exist before and the deed of donation from 1563 is the first mention of manor in the village and also confirms the ownership rights of Gašpar Péchy to property in Pečovská Nová Ves, so these 7 years would be enough for its construction. However, it is unlikely that the building would have been built by the previous owners of the village - the Tarczay family, as such an important stone building would certainly be mentioned in the deed of donation.
An inscription with the date of 20 June 1649 has been preserved on the beam of the ceiling of the manor house, which on the one hand is so far the only absolute dating element and on the other hand, would represent the second construction phase, resp. repair of the building (after the presumed damage during the fighting during the anti-Habsburg uprising of Rákóczi in 1644-45).
The seat also had a defensive character, as in the rough walls of the building there were more shooting ranges than window openings and at the same time it was a representative seat of the Péchy family with entrances decorated with profiled portals and vaults with stucco decoration. It is possible to assume other defensive elements around the building, such as a moat.
Since the 19th century, the manor house was probably no longer the seat of the Péchy family, who probably only rented the building or used it for economic purposes. Therefore, the construction did not undergo significant modifications. The manor house remained unused, perhaps it housed a caretaker or people working on an adjacent farm. This situation led to its sale at the end of the 19th century. Its last owner from the Péchy family, László Péchy, sold it to a local Jewish family.
In the 20th century, work was carried out on the building, which was mostly of a repair nature. After 1945, he changed owners again and the manor house was bought from Siréna Riegelhauptová by the Ring family, whose descendants own it to the present day. To this day, the building has been preserved almost without interference, ie in the condition as it looked in the 16th century.
The mansion is in private hands, accessible at your own risk.
Used sources and literature: WEB: presov.korzar.sme.sk, pecovska.sk, www.milujemevychod.sk, www.pamiatkynaslovensku.sk/pecovska-nova-ves-renesancny-kastiel, www.novum.castrum.sk Archív hrady-zamky.sk