Veľké Uherce

Originally a Renaissance manor house with a medieval core, rebuilt in a romantic neo-Gothic style in the village of Veľké Uherce

manor, mansion / 218 m



hore

Veľké Uherce, Trenčín county

N48° 36' 43.49",  E18° 26' 06.36"


Vgrich, Vgruch, Vgroch, Vgrouch, Vgrot, Ugrouch, Nogvgrouch, Nog Ugrouch, Nagy Ugrócz, Gross Ugrócz

How to get there - Veľké Uherce

The manor is located in the village of Veľké Uherce, next to the road 511, which passes through the village. From Partizánské we get to the village, on the right side we pass the church right at the beginning, and soon on the left we see the gate to the complex and a large fence. There will be one car in front of the gate, but if we can't find a place here, we recommend parking at the building where the wall ends, as the road is quite busy. However, the manor house is usually locked, the manor is in private hands.

time < 5 min
difficulty Parking parking

Nearest castles (direct line):
Šimonovany - 3.9 km, Čereňany - 4.9 km, Chalmová - 6.8 km, Žabokreky nad Nitrou - 9.7 km, Zemianske Kostoľany - 10.6 km, Klátova Nová Ves - 10.8 km, Skýcov - 12.2 km, Bošany - 14.2 km, Hrušov - 14.9 km, Diviacka Nová Ves - 15.6 km, Uhrovec - 16.1 km, Sivý Kameň - 17.1 km, Živánska veža - 17.5 km, Čierny hrad - 18.6 km

Interior and exterior

The manor is a four-winged building with round corner towers. It has a two-wing ground floor with a neo-Gothic chapel, accessible by a richly designed portal. On the second floor are representative rooms with carved wooden ceilings, wood-paneled walls and model parquet floors. There is a romantic knight's hall with busts of knights on the walls. In the interior, the tapestry is placed in a ceremonial hall, representing the king sitting on a throne, surrounded by a number of figures. There is a relief portrait of Baron Thonet from 1904 by P. Breithut from Vienna.

Today, the manor belongs to the descendant of the original owners, Flavius Thonet, who is gradually repairing it. A part of the manor house should be a museum of Thonet furniture, the chapel and a park should be accessible in the future.

Photogallery

2020

  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt
  • Veľké Uherce-Pohľad na objekt

Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk

Historical photographs

  • Veľké Uherce-1903 Zdroj: dka.oszk.hu
  • Veľké Uherce-Pred rekonštrukciou Zdroj: http://archiv.velkeuherce.sk
  • Veľké Uherce-história
  • Veľké Uherce-história

If the source is not mentioned, the photos come from deltiologists and users who sent or lent them to us, as well as from freely available sources, social networks and archives.

Send us your photos - Veľké Uherce

Up to 5 photos up to 5MB, JPG or PNG


 I agree with publication of photos on www.hrady-zamky.sk

WARNING: Try to send images that are not in the photo gallery, or if the object has changed over the years, so its current state.
Photos are subject to approval process. Only selected photos will be published.

History and personalities

At the site of the manor, there was probably a fortified castle in the 15th century at the latest, parts of the masonry of which were built into the structure of the manor.

The manor house was originally Renaissance and was built in 1622 by Michal Bossányi and his wife Margareta. It was rebuilt in the 18th century in the Baroque style. During the time of the owner Ján Keglevich, further reconstructions of the manor took place in the years 1845-1860 and the building thus acquired a romanticizing neo-Gothic appearance. Keglevich was inspired by the patterns of English medieval castles.

However, the reconstructions were financially demanding and changed owners due to family disputes until 1865, when the manor house was sold to the German Thonet family, who at that time were manufacturers of bentwood furniture. The Thonets continued to make neo-Gothic reconstructions and owned the manor until World War II.

After 1945, a school was established in the manor. There were also dormitories here and later its premises also served as textile warehouses. That is why the premises were devastated. After the war, the manor house was looted. Monument research took place in 1970 and a not very sensitive reconstruction began in 1979, which was not completed until 1990.

In 2009, the manor was bought by a descendant of the original owners, Flavio Thonet, who is gradually repairing it. In the future, the manor should include a museum of Thonet furniture or a restaurant.

Myths and Legends

There are no myths available.

Useful information

The manor is in private hands, inaccessible to the public

Used sources and literature: KRIŽANOVÁ E.,PUŠKÁROVÁ B. Hrady,zámky a kaštiele na Slovensku. Bratislava : Šport 1990 WEB: putovaniesmobilom.sk, velkeuherce.sk, sk.wikipedia.org, Archív hrady-zamky.sk