Žabokreky nad Nitrou, Trenčín county
N48° 37' 18.764", E18° 18' 13.359"
The village of Žabokreky nad Nitrou is located a few km west of Partizánske. Topoľčianska Cesta passes through the village on which we get roughly to the center of the village, where there is a turn to Tehelná Street. We can park the car on the side of the main road, where is a temporary parking lane. Alternatively, if we turn from the main road to the aforementioned Tehelná Street, then along the road it is possible to find a place to stand.
Immediately next to the main road, a path between the trees behind the residential houses leads to the former watchtower. The building is in private hands, entry is not possible. The access road is also on private land, enter only at your own risk.
< 5 min
Surrounding castles (direct line):
Bošany - 6.1 km, Klátova Nová Ves - 6.3 km, Šimonovany - 6.5 km, Veľké Uherce - 9.7 km, Čereňany - 13.5 km, Chalmová - 13.9 km, Skýcov - 15.7 km, Uhrovec - 16.1 km, Čierny hrad - 16.5 km, Zemianske Kostoľany - 17.8 km, Hrušov - 18.3 km, Topoľčiansky hrad - 19.1 km, Diviacka Nová Ves - 19.6 km
Massive prismatic tower building with a modernist facade. There were ramparts around it in the distant past. On the north side of the building are preserved parts of the Gothic consoles from the original gallery. The cellar is vaulted on the middle column. During the renaissance renovation, the corners were decorated with false sgraffito.
In the 20th century, the building was rebuilt into a residential house. The internal layout has been completely rebuilt.
Unless stated differently, the photographs are subject to the copyright of hrady-zamky.sk
If the source is not mentioned, the photos come from deltiologists and users who sent or lent them to us, as well as from freely available sources, social networks and archives.
There was a medieval settlement on the territory of Žabokreky. The year 1291 should be considered only as the year of the first written mention of an ancient settlement that has existed for a long time. Žabokreky was an old aristocratic property owned by the Zsámbokréthy nobles, who belonged to the higher nobility.
During the time of Karol Róbert, the Zsámbokréthy family probably built a castle here around 1320 in the form of a fortified tower building with ramparts, sometimes referred to as a fortified manor house. In 1530, Turkish troops penetrated deep into the territory of Slovakia. Due to the fact that a fortified manor house stood on the edge of Žabokreky, the Turks did not completely destroy Žabokreky. They burned only the northern, unprotected end.
During the dual rule of Ferdinand I and Ján Zápoľský, the robber knights Podmanickovci also occupied the manor house in Žabokreky, which they began to fortify even more. The Habsburg court could not ignore it, so he tried to conquer the manor. However, the Podmanick family survived. The ownership conditions probably stabilized only after the extinction of the Podmanicky family in 1559, when the building was returned to Pavel Zsámbokréthy.
The castle was renovated in the Renaissance in the 16th and 17th centuries. The Turks began to threaten the Ponitria area again. However, even in these turbulent times, Žabokreky did not cease to be the center of business and social activity. The castle was damaged by fire and after the restoration it no longer had its original height, it was one floor lower. The building then fell into the hands of Bishop Ürményi and later Vincent Petrikovits.
Ground-floor extensions were built in the 19th century. For a time, the building served as a post office and in the 20th century it was rebuilt into a residential house. The object is still in the hands of the descendants of Petrikovits.
The building is in private hands, inaccessible to the public.
Used sources and literature: KRIŽANOVÁ E.,PUŠKÁROVÁ B. Hrady,zámky a kaštiele na Slovensku. Bratislava : Šport 1990 WEB: zabokrekynadnitrou.sk, kronika obce Žabokreky n. Nitrou, sk.wikipedia.org, Archív hrady-zamky.sk